School Health Advisory Committee
Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code requires school districts to establish School Health Advisory Council to assist the district in ensuring that local community values are reflected in the district’s health education instruction.
What is the role of the SHAC?
The Centerville I.S.D. SHAC serves as an advisory council that provides recommendations, changes, and/or additions to the school’s health education curriculum and instruction for consideration by the Centerville ISD Board of Trustees.
The council will look at and discuss issues and concerns that impact the entire district, not just individual campuses.
- Ensuring that local community values are reflected in Centerville ISD’s health education instruction
- Fielding health education concerns from the community and bringing them to a SHAC meeting for discussion
- Providing leadership for health education concerns
- Serving the Centerville ISD Board of Education and submitting recommendations to the Board as needed.
Duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education;
- Curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes through coordination of:
a. health education;
b. physical education and physical activity
c. parental involvement; and
d. instruction to prevent the use of tobacco;
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction; and
Strategies for integrating the curriculum with the following elements in a coordinated school health program for the district:
a. school health services;
b. counseling and guidance services;
c. a safe and healthy school environment; and
d. school employee wellness